Sunday, February 18, 2007

CATHOLIC DEMOCRAT DODGER

The first pro baseball I saw was in the Pacific Coast League. My memories begin in North Hollywood, when my brother and I rooted for the Hollywood Stars against the hated LA Angels.

The PCL was the highest level of the minor leagues. There were only 16 major league teams in those days. Anyone good enough to play in the PCL then, would be playing in the majors now.

When it came to the big leagues, my family was National Leaguers and Brooklyn Dodger fans.

By being a kid in my family I was automatically a Catholic, a Democrat, and a Brooklyn Dodger fan, not necessarily in that order. My mom used to say that there were only two men who could get her to leave my dad, Adlai Stevenson, and Gil Hodges.


In case you were wondering, SFWILLIE’S BLOG can confirm that the victory of Brooklyn Dodgers over the New York Yankees in the 1955 World Series was THE GREATEST EVENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.



I’m no longer a Catholic, or a Democrat, or even a baseball fan anymore. But there’s still the familiarity. I still prefer Catholics to Protestants. I still see Democrats as slightly less evil than Republicans. And I’d still root for Hitler if he were pitching against the gdmf Yankees.

----- o -----

No comments: