Saturday, December 16, 2006

BOM(B)

I found another clip of South Park’s Origins of Mormonism number. Two days later it was no longer available. There are still plenty of South Park clips available, but not that one. I wonder why.

The clip tells us what the Book of Mormon isn’t, i.e. inspired by God.



This neat website, whatismormonism.com, critiques the Book of Mormon from an historical, scientific, logical point of view. The long list of anachronisms are hysterically funny. This website contends that the basic story of the BOM was ripped off from a novel written in 1812.

Pud wants me to tell you that the most honest, reliable pot dealer he’s ever known was a Mormon. “Good people,” Pud says. Also, Pud wants you all to notice the hand on the hip.

I asked myself why I delight in ridiculing new religions such as Scientology and Mormonism. I think it’s because they take on the trappings of traditional, tribally based religions. The Xenu cosmology for instance. Or the angel Maroni? It seems to me if you’re want fairy tales you should go with those that have stood the test of time.

The Bible is like Mother Goose and the Brothers Grimm. These new religions are like Barney and Friends.

----- o -----

No comments: