Friday, December 15, 2006

AN AFFORDABLE ADVENTURE

Recently I was taken to the races. A friend had bid on Turf Club tickets in a silent auction, and won.

I had been to the races only once since my childhood. I have no interest in gambling so it never crosses my mind.
My dad loved to go to the track. Partly it’s an Irish thing. A first cousin of mine is so rabid she plans here vacations around major horse races. She been to all the famous American tracks, seen the triple crown races.

When my family lived in LA we went to Santa Anita and Hollywood Park maybe a couple dozen times. It was fairly boring for us kids, but, for something that had to be endured, it wasn’t so bad.

During the years we were going, 1956-1959, we got to see one of the most beloved race horses in American history, Silky Sullivan, whose spine tingling, mad dash, come from behind victories were legend. I was there when he came from 26 lengths behind to win the Santa Anita Derby.



Those days, especially on Sundays at Santa Anita, it could be a dress up affair. As I recall, my brother and I wore our church clothes with little clip-on bow ties.

So the trip to Bay Meadows last week brought back a lot of memories.

I was surprised to see how cheap it is. Parking is $4.00, general admission is $3.00 per person. The program costs $2.25, but the same information is available on the internet for free. And the feeding opportunities are numerous and moderately priced. And, you can place a bet for as little as $1.00.

Thoroughbreds are beautiful animals. The Thoroughbred Racing Association has a great looking website.

----- o -----

No comments: