Friday, August 14, 2009

WORD WORN

At my age getting up to pee in the middle of the night is normal.

For me it's only once per night, which is considered not that bad. [Email me for a full report on my recent prostate exam.]

Sometimes, if wakeful after peeing, I'd flip on cable news. For a  while I was enjoying Morning Joe.

joe

But lately I just can't take the naked polemics and the diversionary debate topics.

The knowing misuse of language is an identifying feature of "the bad guys."

PatBuchanan 

It's like torture. The use or approval of torture is an identifying feature of "the bad guys."

Obama's pitch is that we're all Americans, torturers and anti-torturers alike. "False arrest? Let's have a beer and talk about it."

To me, torturers and asshole cops of any religion, race, or nationality are "the bad guys."

Anyway, I find that my dislike of pundit-talk is extending to Obama-talk. Reported in a piece on CommonDreams about growing discontent among Obama supporters:

As one of these people recently said to me, the cadence of Obama's speeches that used to give her shivers is now starting to grate on her nerves.

Recently one night after peeing, I was watching Joe doing his S&M thing with Mika and it was just too painful so I flipped to IFC and found the last half hour of Night of the Iguana.

night2

Regarding the use of language:

MSNBC is to Tennessee Williams as rape is to lovemaking.

A few days (nights) later I flipped from Cable News to the last twenty minutes of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Tennessee Williams was one of  "the good guys."  Harper Lee, too.

boo1

Obama, not so much.

Remember his first few weeks in office... he gave all those short speeches that were telepromptered, all in those shiver-inducing cadences.

Then in unprepared remarks such as answering interview questions, Obama is much more halting, he spends a lot of time looking for the "right" words. Halting speech is the opposite of forthrightness.

Juries are told that when evaluating the testimony of a witness, they may consider the witness' "manner of testifying."

Obama flunks that one.

----- o -----

No comments: